Friday, September 11, 2009

4th Entry (Sept 10th)


After our guest speaker's presentation last night, I did a little more research at acrossair.com. Acrossair is a newly developed iPhone application which puts my current applications like Around Me & Maps to shame. All of the pet peeves I've developed about those current apps seem to have been resolved in this new app. It's unique in that it gives you a panoramic view of local businesses, whether they be movie theaters, restaurants, or even pieces of property based on where you are and which direction you are facing. I regard to use as a map, this is extremely helpful for someone who may get turned around and not really sure which direction they need to head in order to follow directions. Usually if I am at point A and have been given directions to point B, my iPhone currently offers no information on which way I need to start driving. On some rare occasions, I've had to start driving and watch where the blue dot indicating my current location moves (not very efficient OR safe!).

My main disappointment is that this application will not be available for my iPhone. It is only for the iPhone 3GS. This has prompted me to wonder how many more fantastic and innovative applications may be incompatible with my phone. I could definitely see Apple's motives for doing this. Clearly it would prompt new buyers of the iPhone to purchase the latest model to have access to all applications. For those like myself who already own a "regular" iPhone, there is that desire to upgrade in order to enjoy use of some of the new and upcoming apps available only for iPhone 3GS. It will be interesting as the release of acrossair approaches and how consumers respond.

No comments:

Post a Comment