Friday, September 11, 2009

3rd Entry (Sept 3rd)


Currently, I am working on some XML for one of my classes. I got off to a rough start as it had been a while since I had created XML documents and schemas. I must admit I was initially a bit discouraged and a little anxious as I was unsure just how long it may take to pick it back up and learn something new - XML stylesheets. Thankfully, I caught on and I'm grateful that I have learned a new skill of using stylesheets. When I began the project, I was curious as to how I would express some of the data modeling relationships I had become familiar with, and it was interesting to see how that works with XML schemas, as well as how that transfers to use of the document.

Something major I learned in this process is that patience and attention to detail is key. Often times, I would get in a hurry, write a lot of code (some sloppy code somewhere along the way) and end up wasting time trying to go back and find out why it wouldn't validate. Though it can be tempting to hurry in writing the code, it's best in the scheme of things to pace yourself and make sure you write it correctly the first time. Also be sure to hit that validation button often! It is very difficult and frustrating to type a ton of code and go a while without validating, only to hit validate at the end and have to go searching through all that new code you just typed. Thankfully, Oxygen does give you a good amount of information so that fixing those errors isn't as time consuming, so I will definitely keep using that.

No comments:

Post a Comment