Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Assignment K

Our assignment for this week was to work through a step-by-step guide on building iPhone apps with HTML, CSS and JavaScript, as opposed to Objective-C, which author Jonathan Stark explains is difficult to learn. Stark makes a great argument for the inconveniences of using Objective-C and the difficulty of getting your app approved through Apple… as well as the challenges of debugging while trying to keep app approval rates up. Because of the increased flexibility and relatively far shorter time it takes to develop a web app via open source technologies, this alterweb can prove far more appealing to those interested in developing their own web app.
I learned a great deal from this book because he takes you through the steps of adding/changing code, and he offers you a screenshot of how those changes should appear. Personally, I find I learn most effectively when I am offered this kind of guidance, added with the opportunity to go through the steps on my own. I truly believe you can’t excel in writing code unless you do it over and over again. This is what my first programming professor explained to my class, and he was absolutely right. This assignment is a great stepping stone to applying this same concept, and I look forward to utilizing other resources as opportunities to practice.

No comments:

Post a Comment