Sunday, November 1, 2009

Assignment I

I1 - ONLINE STORAGE


Ignorance is Not Bliss


It was not until I made the big move from my Dell to a Mac that I finally faced the issue I had been dodging for YEARS... online storage. To many, backing up your data may be something that has been a habit since you 1st owned a computer. For myself, it was something I thought was a good idea but not really necessary. I'm just thankful I was able to change my mind before being hit with the infamous "computer crash" nearly all of my friends have faced at some point during our undergrad years. I chose each time to ignore the countless horror stories of losing final projects and papers in an instant, knowing in the back of my mind that I could be next...but not caring quite enough to do anything about the impending danger.

Baby Steps

I'm still not completely sure what my hesitation was when it came to backing up my data. I have to admit, being on the other side looking back, it really wasn't a huge fuss. However, it was a major decision choosing which online backup tool/service to use. I thought, "If I'm going to bother doing this, I might as well do it right". But I had no idea where to start. Finally, I began asking family, friends, professors, etc. what they use and/or what they would recommend. I also did some research on the internet, but didn't feel comfortable trusting the online reviews I perceived to be biased.

Freedom is Not Free


As I received feedback from those I knew, I began to realize that this was going to cost me... maybe not a lot, but it would cost. I was initially enticed by the advertisements for "FREE online storage", only to be let down when I discovered the storage space was insufficient. I eventually accepted the inevitable and moved forward. I then went back and forth on whether to pay for a monthly or yearly subscription thinking "Well, the yearly IS cheaper, but this is new to me ad I'd rather try it out for a month and see how I like it". Then it came to me. Instead of paying just yet, I could use a trial backup and see how it goes. But disappointment found me once again when I realized this "trial" was not an accurate depiction of what I would be paying for. The amount of features available in the full subscription were not available in the trial. I couldn't back-up or organize my files in the manner in which I anticipated, so it was back to the drawing board.

The All-Invincible Mac

At one point in my internal battle, I considered not backing up my computer at all. Besides, it was practically invincible, right? I clearly remembered reading in sheer amazement that Macs don't get computer viruses... or was it PC viruses? Ah yes, I revisited the site which assured "Mac OS X doesn't get PC viruses" :) But my joy was short-lived. I then stumbled upon another page which read "Why your next PC should be a Mac". Wait, so the Mac is a PC but Mac OS X doesn't get PC viruses? As I read further non-Apple sites and articles, my confusion only grew. I would read that Macs never get viruses, which would be followed by something more like "It is very rare or unlikely. Most recently, it has been my understanding that Macs rarely get viruses only because almost none have been created yet. So while Mac users are mostly safe for now, it is essentially a waiting game. And I would rather be safe than sorry...


I2 -
*Findability - the ability of users to identify an appropriate website and navigate the pages of the site to discover and retrieve relevant information resources
*Findability/SEO:
- Better practices in Findability will help build a better foundation when coding for SEO
- SEO is Strategies and tactics used for improving how easy a search engine can find a site that best fits the requested search, so SEO improves findability
*Findability/Usabilty:
- The better your Findability the better your Usability
- Like usability, findability applies broadly across all sorts of physical and virtual environments (http://www.boxesandarrows.com/view/the_age_of_findability)
*Findability/Accessibility:
- Better findability increases accessibility
*Findability/Information Architecture:
- Good IA can help decrease the cost/time associated with findability



I3 -
* General iPhone Web page best practices
http://webdesign.about.com/od/pdas/a/aa070207.htm
* Working with the viewport
http://drinkingoatmealstout.com/2007/07/01/constrain-your-viewport-for-iphone-web-development/
* CSS for good iPhone Web pages
http://cssiphone.com/
* The WebKit and using it's features for iPhone Web apps
http://drnicwilliams.com/2008/11/10/to-webkit-or-not-to-webkit-within-your-iphone-app/
* the iUI
http://www.digitalistic.com/2008/07/28/writing-an-iphone-page-in-minutes-using-iui/

No comments:

Post a Comment